Spring is in the air and Easter is almost here, but remember that your pets will be curious about new items you bring into your household so keep them a safe distance away from your pets’ reach.
During Easter Week chocolate is a popular treat for humans but it’s also the most common poison to affect pets. In the UK there are nearly 2,000 cases reported every year. Certain types of chocolate are very toxic. In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. This is because chocolate always contains a key ingredient called caffine and theobromine which is lethal to pets. Caffeine is dangerous to all pets as it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death.
Easter lilies are highly toxic to all pets especially cats. All parts of the Easter lily plant are poisonous and cats that ingest as few as one or two leaves, or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can suffer severe kidney failure.
Symptoms of poisoning will develop within six to 12 hours of exposure. Early signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. Symptoms worsen as kidney failure develops. Some cats will experience disorientation, staggering and seizures. These lilies are commonly found in Easter florist bouquets, so it is imperative to check for poisonous flowers before bringing bouquets into the household.
Easter grass is the fake grass that often accompanies Easter baskets. When your cat or dog ingests something “stringy” like Easter grass, it can become anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it unable to pass through the intestines. It can result in severe damage to the intestinal tract, often requiring expensive abdominal surgery.
Those adorable baby chick toys and bendy bunnies may be good basket stuffers but small toys are a choking hazard and should be kept away from cats and dogs. Be sure baskets are kept off the floor, or pets are kept in another room while the Easter baskets are being unwrapped.
If you suspect that your pets ate anything hazardous then call us immediately on 028 3752 6777