Springtime Killers

Spring is in the air and pets get curious this time of year, which can mean an increase in the number of emergencies. Springtime will bring many hazards for your pets, so be careful.

– Spring cleaning

Chemicals If you use chemical cleaning supplies around your home, be sure to store products securely away from your pets reach. Commercial cleaning products, contains chemicals that are toxic to your dog or cat, so make sure to follow label instructions carefully and store products securely away from your pet.

– Seasonal Allergies

Just like humans, dogs and cats can develop allergies to plants, pollens, grasses, and many other substances in springtime. Allergies in pets normally appear as itchy skin and ear problems, accompanied by hair loss or inflamed skin.

– Bee or Wasp Stings

Most cases are not emergencies. But if your dog is stung near the mouth or neck then you may need to seek veterinary help. Like humans, dogs can be allergic to stings.

– Parasites

Make sure your pet is up to date with his vaccinations, a flea and tick treatment as this is the time of year fleas and ticks start to increase in number.

Garden hazards

The insecticides, herbicides, pesticides, weed killer and fertilizers used many people in the spring to bring their lawns and gardens back to life are full of chemicals that are dangerous for pets. Here are some more garden hazards;

– Spring Bulbs

Can be fatal if dug up and eaten by your pets. Tulips and daffodils are toxic to dogs and cats, although all parts of the plant are toxic; it is the bulbs that actually contain the most toxins.

– Slug Pellets

Commonly contains the chemical metaldehyde, which is very toxic to pets and since many dogs will eat almost anything, slug pellets should only be used with great care, keeping pets away from areas where they are used and stored.

– Cocoa Shell Mulch

Gardeners apply a thick layer of mulch to their flower beds and dogs are attracted to these shells by their smell, but they contain theobromine which is very poisonous to dogs. It is safer to use an alternative such as tree bark.

Symptoms of Poisoning

– Contact poisons

Chemicals or plants that come into contact with your pet’s skin can cause irritation. You may see sign of discomfort, agitation, excessive scratching, swelling or pain.

– Swallowed poisons

Can cause gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, staggering, disorientation, convulsions, lethargy, loss of appetite, twitching, dilated pupils, ulcers, heart palpitations, and coma.

– Inhaled poisons

Can cause coughing, drooling, difficulty breathing, unconsciousness or coma.

If you feel that your pet has been affected by any of the hazards listed above please get in touch with us immediately on 028 3752 6777.